Rectify errors in Form 26AS Income Tax noticed during e-filing of your tax return
During e-filing of your tax returnyou might have noticed some error in your Form
efiling of it return by chartered accountants
26AS details with income tax department. How will you get these corrected? Below article will help you understand the types of discrepancies in Income Tax 26AS form, why these errors occur and how you can get them corrected.
What discrepancies can be there in your Income Tax 26AS form?
- Tax deducted/ paid is not reflecting in Form 26 AS
- Wrong amount of tax payment/ deduction in Form 26 AS
- Tax not paid by yourself (income not earned by you) reflecting in your Form 26 AS of Income Tax
Reasons for Discrepancies could be any of the below:
- PAN Number not correctly quoted by you/ deductor in challan
- Error by bank when digitizing the challan data
- Bank failed to upload digitized information or deductor failed to file TDS/ TCS return
- Wrongful quotation of your PAN Number by another assessee/ deductor / bank
How can these errors be rectified?
- If the error is relating to TDS / TCS details – contact deductor / collector
- If the error is relating to advance tax / self-assessment tax intimate your assessing officer
Given below is the contact authorities corresponding to each section of Form 26 AS:
Part of Form 26AS
||Assessing Officer / Bank
||Assessing Officer / ITR-CPC
||Concerned AIR Filer
In case your issue is not resolved by the deductor or bank you can contact the TIN call centre.
Address: TIN Call Centre, National Securities Depository Limited, 3rd Floor, Sapphire Chambers, Near Baner Telephone Exchange, Baner, Pune – 411 045.
Tel: 020 – 2721 8080.
Fax: 020 – 2721 8081.
Email to Assessing Officer
It is also advised to drop an email to your Jurisdictional officer explaining the issue and attaching the Form 26AS in consideration. Also please refer the helpdesk ticket number of your request raised with TIN customer care.
You can also check out our related articles on Form 26AS of Income Tax
This article is brought to you by onlineITreturn.com
For a detailed advise, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.onlineitreturn.com. OnlineITreturn.com is an online portal for efiling your income tax return and advise,
consultancy on taxation matters including Service Tax, TDS. All taxation matters are handled by Chartered Accountants.